Medical Director and Consultant (Vitreoretinal services) at Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology
- Primary medical education: MBBS (1997): Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore, India
- Post graduate education: D.O.M.S (2000): Minto Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore,India
- Vitreo Retinal fellowship: FMRF: 2003: Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
- Member of Royal college of Ophthalmologists (London): MRCOphth: 2005
- Ph.D: Proteomics of vitreous and aqueous humor: 2016: Amrita Vishwa vidyapeetham
- Faculty Scientist: Institute of Bioinformatics, 2009 – present
- Honorary Consultant: Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health Sciences, Bangalore, 2004 - present
- Consultant vitreoretinal services: Prabha Eye Clinic & Research Centre, Bangalore, 2003- present
- Consultant vitreoretinal services: Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore, 2003- present
- Invited as a guest speaker for the APAO meeting in feb 8-11th 2018 in Hongkong on Proteomics in diabetic retinopathy
- Invited as a guest speaker for the session on Endophthalmitis on 18-21st October 2017 at Lausanne, Switzerland with topic on Exogenous endophthalmitis
- Invited as a guest speaker for the Indo china meeting at Ulan Bator, Mongolia on 18-21st Aug 2018 on topic :
- Teleuveitis screening Invited as a guest speaker for ORBIS international meeting at Ulan Bator,Mongolia on 18-21st Aug 2018 on topic "Telescreening for Diabetic retinopathy in India- Our experience"
- Poster presentation on Biomarkers in ROP at HUPO annual meeting in Dublin, Ireland 2017.
- Biomarkers in ROP: Paper presentation AIOS, Coimbatore 2018
- Diabetic retinopathy Project-Tumkur: A one year review. VISION 2020 INDIA conference held between 3-4th June 2017, Raipur, Chhattisgarh
Achievements: Received Clinical researcher travel grant to attend HUPO annual meeting in Dublin, Ireland 2017
Societies Attached to : Member of
- All India of Ophthalmological Society (AIOS)
- Karnataka Ophthalmological Society (KOS)
- Vitreorental Society of India (VSOI)
- Uveitis Society of India
Awards and Honors
- FICCI health care award for taking retinopathy of prematurity screening to rural India for the year 2013
- Mahashabde award (Awarded by the All India Ophthalmic Society) for the best work in community ophthalmology on "Nayana –Taking diabetes care to rural India", All India ophthalmic society meeting, Jaipur 2009
- Best video presentation "Screening for retinopathy of prematurity in rural neonatal intensive care units" by the Karnataka Ophthalmology Society, Bijapur 2012
- Best video presentation on "Nayana- Glaucoma outreach" by the Glaucoma Society of India, Calcutta, December 2007
- Winner of the quiz in the International Ocular Oncology Meeting, L.V.Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad 2004
Dr Krishna R Murthy completed his basic medical degree(MBBS) from Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore and completed his post graduation from Minto Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore. He went on to do his fellowship in Vitreoretinal diseases from Sankara Netralaya, Chennai. He became a member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London (MRCOphth) in 2005. He went on to complete his PhD. in "proteomics of vitreous and aqueous humor" from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham in 2016. His special areas of interest include Diabetic retinopathy, Retinopathy of prematurity, HIV related eye diseases and proteomics of the ocular structures. He has been instrumental in planning and implementing the mobile diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma treatment unit which takes treatment of these two conditions to rural areas of 16 districts of Karnataka. This initiative was the first of its kind anywhere in the world and it has been replicated in many resource poor settings across nine countries. This initiative was funded by the World Diabetes Foundation. He is also responsible for running one of the largest tele-ophthalmological screening programmes in India for the disease Retinopathy Of Prematurity (ROP), which affects premature neonates. This programme called the "Vittala ROP project" serves semi-urban and rural neonatal intensive care units in 10 districts of south Karnataka. This initiative was awarded the FICCI Health Care award for the year 2013. He has been invited to present his work in many international fora such as World Diabetes Congress in Melbourne , Australia and The World ROP Congress in Shanghai, China. He has 29 published articles in peer reviewed journals and co-authored 2 chapters in a reputed vitreoretinal text book.
- Agarwal M, Shanmugam MP, Gopal L, Shetty N, Bhende M, Gopal L, Sharma T, Thakur S, Raman R, Nizammuddin SH, Moorthy KR. Transpupillary Thermotherapy For Choroidal Neovascular Membrane In Age Related Macular Degeneration.. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2004;52(1):45-9.
- Satish KS, Murthy KR, Yadav N, Murthy RA. Meningitis with papillitis, choroiditis, and hearing loss: an unusual presentation of cryptococcosis in HIV infection. AIDS Read. 2006;16(12):679-80, 682.
- D’Souza GA, Sunad R, Rajagopalan N, Ananthamurthy A, Murthy KR, Babu K. NK/T cell lymphoma in AIDS. J Assoc Physicians India. 2006;54:890-2.
- Babu K, Murthy KR, Babu N, Ramesh S. Triple A syndrome with ophthalmic manifestations in two siblings. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2007 Jul-Aug;55(4):304-6.
- Babu K, Murthy KR, Rajagopalan N. Primary bilateral multifocal choroiditis as an initial manifestation of disseminated cryptococcosis in a HIV-positive patient. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2008;16(4):191-3.
- Murthy KR, Venkataraman N, Satish V, Babu K. Bilateral retinitis following chikungunya fever. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2008;56(4):329-31.
- Babu K, Satish V, Prakash O, Subbakrishna DK, Murthy KR. Role of the mantoux test and treatment with antitubercular therapy in a South Indian patient population of presumed intraocular tuberculosis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2009;17(5):307-11.
- Babu K, Satish V, Satish S, Subbakrishna DK, Mariamma Philips Abraham, Murthy KR. Utility of QuantiFERON TB gold test in a south Indian patient population of ocular inflammation. Indian J Ophthalmol:2009; 57:427-430
- Murthy GJ, Murthy PR, Murthy KR, Kulkarni VV, Murthy KR. A study of the efficacy of endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation for the treatment of refractory glaucomas. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2009;57(2):127-32.
- Babu K, Murthy KR, Rajagopalan N, Satish B. Vision recovery in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with optic neuropathy treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy: a case series. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2009;57(4):315-8.
- Babu K, Murthy PR, Murthy KR. Intravitreal bevacizumab as an adjunct in a patient with presumed vascularised choroidal tubercular granuloma. Eye (Lond). 2010;24(2):397-9.
- Babu K, Murthy VR, Akki VP, Prabhakaran VC, Murthy KR. Coin-shaped epithelial lesions following an acute attack of erythema multiforme minor with confocal microscopy findings. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2010;58(1):64-6.
- Babu K, Murthy KR, Sudarshan S, Biswas J. Bilateral arteritis with cytomegalovirus retinitis in a patient infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Published in the spring issue of Journal of Retinal cases & brief reports
- Babu K, Kini R, Mehta R, Abraham MP, Subbakrishna DK, Murthy KR. Clinical profile of ocular sarcoidosis in a South Indian patient population. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2010;18(5):362-9.
- Babu K, Murthy KR, Krishnakumar S. Two successive ocular malignancies in the same eye of a HIV-positive patient: a case report. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2010;18(2):101-3.
- Murthy KR, Murthy PR, Kapur A, Owens DR. Mobile diabetes eye care: Experience in developing countries. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012;97(3):343-9.
- Murthy KR, Murthy PR, Rao S, Murthy GJ, Kapur A, Lefebvre P. A novel model to deliver advanced eye care for people with diabetes living in resource-poor settings: results of care provided to date. Diabetes Care. 2012;35(4):e31.
- Babu K, Kini R, Mehta R, Philips M, Subbakrishna DK, Murthy KR. Predictors for tubercular uveitis: a comparison between biopsy-proven cases of tubercular and sarcoid uveitis. Retina. 2012;32(5):1017-20.
- Babu K, Adiga M, Govekar SR, Kumar BR, Murthy KR. Associations of Fuchs heterochromic iridocyclitis in a South Indian patient population. J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect. 2013;3(1):14.
- Babu K, Mukhopadhyay M, Murthy KR. Uveitis with myasthenia gravis--a rare association. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2013;21(1):44-6.
- Babu K, Kini R, Murthy KR. Unique presentation of 3rd and 6th cranial nerve palsies, nodular scleritis and nummular keratouveitis in an immunocompetent patient following an attack of herpes zoster ophthalmicus. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2012;20(5):365-7.
- Murthy KR, Murthy PR, Shah DA, Nandan MR, S NH, Benakappa N. Comparison of profile of retinopathy of prematurity in semiurban/rural and urban NICUs in Karnataka, India. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013;97(6):687-9.
- Goel R, Murthy KR, Srikanth SM, Pinto SM, Bhattacharjee M, Kelkar DS,Madugundu AK, Dey G, Mohan SS, Krishna V, Prasad TSK, Chakravarti S, Harsha H, Pandey A. Characterizing the normal proteome of human ciliary body. Clin Proteomics. 2013;10(1):9.
- Kim MS, Pinto SM, Getnet D, Nirujogi RS, Manda SS, Chaerkady R, Madugundu AK, Kelkar DS, Isserlin R, Jain S, Thomas JK, Muthusamy B, Leal-Rojas P, Kumar P, Sahasrabuddhe NA, Balakrishnan L, Advani J, George B, Renuse S, Selvan LD, Patil AH, Nanjappa V, Radhakrishnan A, Prasad S, Subbannayya T, Raju R, Kumar M, Sreenivasamurthy SK, Marimuthu A, Sathe GJ, Chavan S, Datta KK, Subbannayya Y, Sahu A, Yelamanchi SD, Jayaram S, Rajagopalan P, Sharma J, Murthy KR, Syed N, Goel R, Khan AA, Ahmad S, Dey G, Mudgal K, Chatterjee A, Huang TC, Zhong J, Wu X, Shaw PG, Freed D, Zahari MS, Mukherjee KK, Shankar S, Mahadevan A, Lam H, Mitchell CJ, Shankar SK, Satishchandra P, Schroeder JT, Sirdeshmukh R, Maitra A, Leach SD, Drake CG, Halushka MK, Prasad TS, Hruban RH, Kerr CL, Bader GD, Iacobuzio-Donahue CA, Gowda H, Pandey A. A draft of the human proteome. Nature. 2014 May 29;509(7502):575-81. doi: 10.1038/nature13302.
- Murthy KR, Goel R, Subbannayya Y, Jacob HK, Murthy PR, Manda SS, Patil AH, Sharma R, Sahasrabuddhe NA, Parashar A, Nair BG, Krishna V, Prasad TsK, Gowda H, Pandey A. Proteomic analysis of human vitreous humor. Clin Proteomics. 2014 Jul 14;11(1):29. doi: 10.1186/1559-0275-11-29. eCollection 2014.
- Babu K, Murthy PR, Prakash PY, Kattige J, Rangaswamy S, Murthy VR, Murthy KR. Chronic endophthalmitis due to Pyrenocheta romeroi in an immunocompetent host--a case report from southern India. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2014 Summer;8(3):197-9. doi: 10.1097/ICB.0000000000000041.
- Murthy KR, Rajagopalan P, Pinto SM, Advani J, Murthy PR, Goel R, Subbannayya Y, Balakrishnan L, Dash M, Anil AK, Manda SS, Nirujogi RS, Kelkar DS, Sathe GJ, Dey G, Chatterjee A, Gowda H, Chakravarti S, Shankar S, Sahasrabuddhe NA, Nair B, Somani BL, Prasad TS, Pandey A. Proteomics of human aqueous humor. OMICS. 2015 May;19(5):283-93. doi: 10.1089/omi.2015.0029.
- Murthy KR, Dammalli M, Pinto SM, Murthy KB, Nirujogi RS, Madugundu AK, Dey G, Subbannayya Y, Mishra UK, Nair B, Gowda H, Prasad TS. A Comprehensive Proteomics Analysis of the Human Iris Tissue: Ready to Embrace Postgenomics Precision Medicine in Ophthalmology? OMICS. 2016 Sep;20(9):510-9. doi:10.1089/omi.2016.0100. PubMed PMID: 27631190.
- Dammalli M, Murthy KR, Pinto SM, Murthy KB, Nirujogi RS, Madugundu AK, Dey G, Nair B, Gowda H, Keshava Prasad TS. Toward Postgenomics Ophthalmology: A Proteomic Map of the Human Choroid-Retinal Pigment Epithelium Tissue. OMICS. 2017 Feb;21(2):114-122. doi: 10.1089/omi.2016.0170. PubMed PMID: 28186866.
|Title of Project
|Proteomics based identification and validation of Urinary Biomarkers for AMD
||Department of Biotechnology
Completed Research Projects
|Title of Project
|"Nayana" Taking diabetic retinopathy treatment to rural Karnataka
||World Diabetes Foundation
|"CODE" Comprehensive diabetes and eye care
||World Diabetes Foundation
|Vittala ROP Project
Invited lectures at International conferences
- Analysis of antenatal, natal and postnatal factors influencing the development of ROP in a tertiary referral center in south India at world ROP meeting-Vilinus, Lithuania 14-16th Sep 2006
- "HIV optic neuropathy – A case series", International ocular inflammation society meeting, Paris, September 2007
- Comparison of profile of Retinopathy of prematurity in urban and semi-urban NICUs of Karnataka, India. World ROP Congress, Shanghai, October 14-16 2012
- Taking comprehensive Diabetes Care to rural Karnataka, VIIO model. WDF symposia in 7th WCPD congress, Madrid Nov 11-15
- Taking treatment of diabetic retinopathy to rural India, World diabetes congress, Melbourne, Dec 2-6, 2013